NJ has three certification/licensing levels:
- Certified Social Worker (CSW) - Bachelor of Social Work;
- Licensed Social Worker (LSW) - Master of Social Work;
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) - Master of Social Work and at least 2 years of clinical social work experience under appropriate supervision.
Please determine the NJ license level equivalent to your current license from another state. You can get more information and access the appropriate application on the BSWE Web site.
In addition, you must have taken and passed the ASWB exam to be eligible for an LSW or LCSW in NJ.
- Masters (LSW Exam): A generalist test for social workers with an MSW and limited or no post-degree experience.
- Clinical (LCSW Exam): A more advanced test for social workers with an MSW and at least two years of post-degree experience in direct clinical practice settings under appropriate supervision.
Complete the application and include ALL information required. Be sure to include a current resume and copy of your license from the other state.